The University of Fiji was established by Arya Pratinidhi Sabha of Fiji to provide high quality, affordable higher education to students who had no access to other tertiary institutions. The University’s objectives include providing higher education relevant to Fiji’s needs, but within a global framework and to support Fiji’s development as a sustainable, peaceful, inclusive and progressive society committed to good governance. The Ministry of Education and the University have signed an MOU to provide a framework for the relationship between the Government and The University of Fiji until an Act is passed to provide a complete legislative framework for the University.
The University is now a recognized provider of higher education in Fiji (Recognition No.8190). The University of Fiji is governed by a Council, which consists of the main education stakeholders in Fiji, as well as prominent community and business leaders. The University’s initial development is being funded by the sponsor, the Arya Pratinidhi Sabha of Fiji, a body which has operated in the country for a century and has been prominent in providing quality primary and secondary education.
The University of Fiji has entered into arrangements with a number of universities to ensure international recognition of its qualifications and to encourage joint research and publications, including the University of Canberra,University of Waikato and the University of New England. The University offers programmes through its Schools at the Certificate, Diploma, Undergraduate Degree and Postgraduate levels in disciplines such as Accounting, Economics, Management, Computing Science, Information Technology, Mathematics and Language and Literature. In 2007, a Masters in Educational Leadership programme, and studies in Fijian Language and Culture were introduced. In 2008, the University introduced MBBS (Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery) and LLB (Bachelor of Laws) degrees and Hindi Language and Culture. In 2016, a Masters programme in Renewable Energy Management was introduced under the School of Science.
The University is also supported by four Centres of Excellence.
Click here to view The University of Fiji Decree
The University Council
The University of Fiji is managed by an independent and all-inclusive council that is dedicated to the highest standard of accountability, transparency, ethics and academic freedom. The council comprises stakeholders in post-primary education in Fiji, as well as persons of commercial, academic and professional eminence.
Current Council Members
- Mr. Anil Tikaram – Pro-Chancellor & Chair of University Council
- Professor Prem Misir – The Vice-Chancellor
- Mr. Arun Padarath – Appointed by the Arya Pratinidhi Sabha of Fiji
- Mrs. Vidya Wati Prasad – Appointed by the Arya Pratinidhi Sabha of Fiji
- Mr. Ravindra D Varman – Appointed by the Arya Pratinidhi Sabha of Fiji
- Mr. Chandra Sen – Appointed by the Arya Pratinidhi Sabha of Fiji
- Pt. Bhuwan Dutt – Appointed by the Arya Pratinidhi Sabha of Fiji
- Mr. Parnesh Sharma – Appointed by the Arya Pratinidhi Sabha of Fiji
- Mr. Uday Raju – Appointed by the Dakshina Andhra Sangam of Fiji
- Mr. Agni Deo Singh – Fiji Teachers’ Union
- Mr. Dalabar Singh – Appointed by the Sikh Association of Fiji
- Mr. Manhar Narsey – Appointed by the Gujarat Education Society
- Ratu Meli N. Tora – Appointed by the Ba Provincial Council
- Mr. Dewan Chand Maharaj – Appointed by the Sanatan Dharm Pratinidhi Sabha of Fiji
- The Permanent Secretary of Education (his or her representative)
- Professor Altaisaikhan Khasag – Appointed by the Senate
- Mr. Niteen Kant – Student Reprentative
- Mr. Salvin Nand– Elected Member
- Mr. Govind Singh – Co-opted Members
- Mrs. Sivitri Chauhan – Co-opted Members
- Mr. Jay Dayal – Co-opted Members
- Deans of Schools – Upon Invitation
- Registrar – Secretary to the Council
- Chief Finance Officer – In Attendance
- Dean of Schools
- Mr Ravineet Sami – Manager, Finance and Facilities
- Mr. Govind Singh
- Mrs. Sivitri Chauhan
- Mr. Jay Dayal
- Registrar – Mr. Kamlesh Arya
The University Finances
The University’s initial development is funded by the sponsor, the Arya Pratinidhi Sabha of Fiji, a body that has operated in the country for 100 years and has been prominent in providing quality primary and secondary education. Over the 5-year development phase, an investment estimated at around $F10m is needed to develop the basic facilities necessary for the operation of the University.
The operational costs of the University are partly funded by fee income. The University expects to breakeven by 2010. The operational losses during the period 2005-2009, would be funded by the sponsor, the Arya Pratinidhi Sabha of Fiji.
While the University and the sponsor aim to bear most of the operational expenses of the University, the University is seeking grant aid and other forms of assistance from local and international donor agencies and individual philanthropy. These include business houses, individuals, NGO’s and governments. Moreover, now that the Fiji Government has recognized the University, the University is hopeful of Government assistance in line with the assistance the Government provides to other educational institutions.
The University has also been endowed with Tuition Scholarships and generous loan arrangements by donors, including ten Foundation Scholarships by the Arya Pratinidhi Sabha of Fiji. The University is working towards continuously raising the number of scholarships and the level of loan funding.